There is more to a glowing skin than using the right beauty products. A big part of your skin’s health comes from what you eat and drink, and how you treat your skin in your everyday life. It is easy to enhance skin and give it a healthy glow with a few simple lifestyle tips.
1. The easiest way to get a young, toned and healthy skin is to drink enough water. This is a skin care tip that is mentioned often, and for a good reason. A hydrated skin is also a skin that looks youthful and soft. Hydration does not only come from external beauty products, it also needs to come from the inside. It is especially important to drink a lot of water if you live in an area where the climate is dry or if your home or workplace is centrally heated. Central heating makes the indoor air dry, and the dryness will affect your skin. Drink water and non-alcoholic beverages throughout the day to keep your body and your skin well hydrated especially in hot dry climates.
2. Eat a balanced and nutritious diet. What you eat shows on your skin, and if your diet consists of junk food and ready meals your skin will pay the price. Fresh fruit and vegetables, organic produce and foods that are free of excess salt, preservatives or additives are the best for your skin. Avoid fast food and junk food, and increase the amount of fruit and vegetables in your diet as these contain healthy antioxidants that are important for a beautiful skin. Ready meals and fast food are usually full of salt, sweeteners, artificial additives and saturated fats. Too much can lead to puffiness and if you are prone to puffy eyes, it is especially important to avoid excess salt.
3. Get enough sleep and avoid too many late nights. The concept of “beauty sleep” is not just a funny idea; lack of sleep affects the skin’s tone. A good sleep gives the skin’s cells the time they need to regenerate and rejuvenate. An occasional late night will not cause anyone any harm, but the general rule should be to get 7-8 hours of sleep at night.
Oils and Fats
4. Include healthy oils and fats in your daily diet. Unsaturated fats, vegetable oils such as flaxseed oil, and foods that contain these oils (such as avocado or nuts and seeds) are important for keeping the skin moisturised. The skin needs some fat to stay lubricated and supple, so adding a little oil to your diet is a good idea if you want a healthy-looking skin.
5. If you are a smoker, stop smoking. Smoking is one of the worst things you can do to your skin. It will make your skin age prematurely, it can change the color of your skin to an unhealthy yellow or gray, and it will make your skin look tired. On the other hand fresh air is good for the skin so enjoy outdoor exercise or walks in the fresh air.
6. Protect your skin from the sun. A suntan looks healthy and some sunshine is good for the skin, but excess sun without adequate protection can make your skin age prematurely. Stay away from the sun during the midday hours and protect your skin with a high SPF sun lotion. Sunburns are especially damaging to the skin, so make sure you do not get burned when sunbathing. Moisturise the skin well after a day out in the sun.
7. Use skincare products that are suitable for your skin type. If your skin is dry, use products that are made for dry skin. If your skin is sensitive, it is especially important to choose your skincare products carefully to avoid allergic reactions. Always do a patch test on a small area of the skin whenever you try a new skincare product.
8. Cleanse your skin thoroughly every night and remove all traces of makeup. Use a cleanser that is right for your skin type, and always apply a good moisturiser before going to bed.
9. Get a regular facial or give yourself a face massage. Massages improve circulation, which is needed to bring oxygen to the skin, and massages also boost the lymphatic system which helps to remove toxins and reduce swelling or puffiness. You can massage your skin gently every night before going to bed to keep the skin youthful and toned.
10. Face masks are great for deep-cleansing the skin. Visit a beautician for a cleansing face treatment, or use a store-bought mask for your skin type. You can also make your own cleansing mask with natural yogurt, oats and honey. Leave the mask on for ten to twenty minutes before rinsing it off.
11. Exfoliate the skin to get rid of dead skin cells, to boost circulation and to give the skin a healthy glow. Face scrubs and body scrubs with sea salt or with brown sugar are good natural exfoliators. Exfoliating once a week is recommended for a glowing skin. You should exfoliate the face and the body on a regular basis, but a body scrub is an especially good treatment in the spring when you want to get your skin ready for the summer.
12. Try making your own skincare products and give yourself an at-home facial. Many skincare products can be made with fresh fruits, yogurt, honey and other ingredients from the kitchen cupboards. Choose ingredients for your own skin type. Honey, natural yogurt and vegetables such as cucumber are good for all skin types. Recipes are available in books and online. Homemade beauty products do not last, but they are great for DIY facials and other simple beauty treatments.
It can be easy and fun to enhance skin and its health with these simple home care tips. Good quality beauty products are important, but so is your diet and your lifestyle. A nutritious diet, good sleep and regular facials are easy ways to get a glowing healthy skin.